A Quick Lesson on Why Protein is So Important…
In coaching people on their diets, I find that Protein is typically the most challenging Macronutrient (Protein/Carbs/Fat vs. Micronutrients – vitamins & minerals) to get in a busy lifestyle.
There are a myriad of important reasons WHY we should get in an appropriate serving at regular intervals (every 2 to 4 hours depending on your metabolism and your output). I’ll share just a couple:
- So much of our body is made and run by proteins…Hormones ARE proteins. Enzymes ARE protein. Many Neurotransmitters ARE proteins or have pieces of proteins. That’s all besides the structural part of the body that is made of protein. If you don’t supply the proper raw materials (amino acids which are the smaller units that combine in different sequences to make the thousands of different proteins) your body cannot manufacture these critical elements to keep the machine functioning.
- Protein eaten at regular intervals helps maintain “happy” blood sugar. Just to name a few things, level blood sugar:
Keeps your mind steady. It allows your intellectual engine to process better
Keeps your mood happier. You feel more hopeful about the world and you treat yourself and others more considerately
Helps you be a better fat burner for a few reasons. You don’t cannibalize your own muscle for fuel. It’s in the muscle cell that the fat is burned. When you expend your muscle for fuel you don’t have as much to burn fat.
Lowers the stress to the rest of the system. When your blood sugar runs low your body forces other systems (i.e. the Adrenal Glands) to make up the difference to keep the machine running. Many people suffer from fatigued Adrenals.
If you have any questions on the WHY, please write me. I want you to understand. With Understanding comes Action.
A quick, inexpensive & easy source is Gelatin Powder
I suggest buying it through GREAT LAKES GELATIN. Buy the Collagen Hydrolysate in the green canister or in bulk. Mixes great. Use in a smoothie or even just shaken up in fresh juice.
A common breakfast may be: (low calorie, quick, tasty, not belly bloating)
- ¾ cup fresh pressed Apple Juice
- 1/3 frozen banana or frozen berries
- 1 T Extra-Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup Collagen Hydrolysate Blended.
Increase proportions depending on person’s size and needs.
Collagen Hydrolysate… What is it?
Hydrolyzed Collagen is unique in its amino acid structure because of its high amounts of glycine, lysine and proline, which are found in lower amounts in other protein food supplements. These particular amino acids are found to generate cell growth much quicker because the natural ability to produce supporting amounts of connective tissue diminishes after the age of 25. Hydrolyzed Collagen is more easily digested because of its low molecular weight and is absorbed within 30 minutes. All of the amino acids collectively are beneficial to cell reproduction, but it is the distinctive spectrum of this product that impacts the metabolic pathways to healthy tissue.
Hydrolyzed Collagen is beneficial in replacing the synovial fluids between the joints and secondly, to repair and build cartilage weakened by overuse through impact and stress. Our bodies are made up of 30% collagen of which 70% of these proteins are connective tissue made of collagen.
Hydrolyzed Collagen is the missing link in supplying amino acids like glycine, proline and lysine that are required by the body to build connective tissue to regulate cell growth. It will benefit hair, skin tissue, muscle, cartilage, ligaments and blood cell growth. Some doctors are referring to this product as the new anti-aging product of the century.